Requirements for Rhode Island Contractors
In April of 2016, the Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board finalized new educational requirements for Contractors doing business in Rhode Island to maintain, or obtain a registration to conduct business in the state.
If you are an existing registered contractor, before your next renewal you will be required to obtain a minimum of 2.5 hours of continuing education credits before you will be able to obtain a subsequent renewal of your registration. Only courses approved by the CRLB will be eligible for approved credits.
If you are a new residential contractor or are conducting business in RI for the first time, you will need to take a mandatory instructor lead 5 hour pre-registration course. Please call the RI Builders Association at 401-438-7400 for course dates and details.
Each registrant must obtain his/her Continuing Education credits through a Board approved provider. The Rhode Island Builders Association (RIBA) is a Board approved provider, with provider code 1.
Course certificates shall include:
- the date of the course,
- number of credit hours completed,
- contact information of the provider and the instructor, and
- any accreditation information and signature of the instructor.
The applicant/registrant is required to:
- Demonstrate compliance with and completion of the Continuing Education requirements. Irrespective of any transcript that may be issued directly to the Board by a vendor, provider or instructor, an original certificate issued by the vendor, provider or instructor to the registrant shall serve as conclusive evidence of course completion.
- Provide a photocopy of the original course completion documents/certificates to the Board‐approved or other third‐party‐vendor for renewal of registration purposes.
- Retain the original documents/certificates for his/her current registration period, and for three (3) years following the completion of the course(s), as proof of course completion if audited.
For more information please contact the RI Builders Association at (401) 438-7400.
560 Jefferson Blvd
Warwick, RI 02886
Phone: (401) 921-1590